Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chloes Kitchen



I was given the pleasure of reviewing a copy of Chloe Coscarellis new cookbook that just hit bookstores this week. If you don't know who this adorable vegan chef is yet, then where have you been?!!! No no, I'm kidding.  But just to updarte you a little, she was the first vegan baker to bring home the win on Food Networks Cupcake Wars, which was very exciting to all vegans and vegan bakers! We all already knew how delicious vegan baked goods are, but she really brought that to the masses and I'm sure intrigued many to want to give vegan goodies a try! Way to go Chloe! She has also had several other appearances and publications in various news articles and magazines bringing wonderful vegan food to mainstream media. And shes just plain adorable to go with it. Many excited fans of hers have been eagerly awaiting her new cookbook.

I don't know about you guys, but I love  a cookbook full of beautiful color photographs. And this one definitely comes with some mouth watering pics to get you motivated to get in the kitchen! I would say that her food in her book has a level of familiarity and "comfort" to it, as well as being easy to prepare.

The first dish I made from the book was this Pineapple not-so-fried rice. It was an absolute delicious pairing of sweet and savory. I swapped using extra firm tofu for some homemade seitan that I already had n my fridge and that worked wonderfully in the recipe as well! 


Its brown rice, pineapple chunks, cashews, pease, marinated tofu or seitan in soy sacue, and some curry and coriander spicing. So so yummy!

I also tried the Double doubel drive-thru Bruger. I think the photo speaks for itself. Don't tell me this doesn't make you hungry!


The recipe suggests using tempeh or brown rice as a base, and I went with tempeh, which I think helped it really hold together great and gave it very good texture. The burger is also filled with toasted walnuts, lentils, and some onions and garlic. Topped with her special sauce and all the fixins of a gereat burger, both my husband and kids loved this one and leftovers keep beautifully in the fridge for quick burger making the next day!

A few other dishes I made (but didn't get a chance to photograph) were the Fettuccine Alfredo. Again, delicious!  I stuck with the recipe but added in some sauteed mushrooms and also some sauteed kale.

And, last but not least, I made the salt and vingar baked fries. This was possibly my favorite thing I made. I totally had a "why didn't I think of this" moment while we were eating them, and unfortunaly they were gobbled up so fast I did not get a chance to photograph these either. They are the baked fry version of salt and vinegar chips, which I love!  I will be making these again, and again, and again!

There are several other things I am dying to make, specifically in the dessert section of the book. Think baked donuts and her award winning cupcakes.

If you are looking for a new cookbook full of great recipes and beautiful photographs, I highly recommend this one!

To get your copy CLICK HERE!

13 comments:

  1. Omg I need this cookbook!!! I was eying it up I saw her on one show talking about it! I remember her winning cupcake wars I was so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously...it's a good one! Full of fun recipes!

      Delete
  2. Loved the review. We are not into desserts so it was the main course recipes I appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has some awesome main courses for sure! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I want to get this recipe book by Chloe. Your pictures look delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should totally get the book, its got great recipes for sure!

      Delete
  4. The burger looks fantastic. I link to her blog, but have yet to try any of her recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birger was really good! It held together great for me and cook up good without falling apart, a win for veggie burgers!

      Delete
  5. This post made me go out and buy this book! I just got it in the mail and I've already book-marked like 50 pages! Today I'm making the "Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sage Butter" So excited :)
    Her sesame garlic soba noodles on her website is to die for!
    -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy the book! Its a great one! Let me know how you like those recipes!!

      Delete
  6. I love her book, Chloe is so awesome! Thanks for this great write up- I made the veggie burgers this weekend and they were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Her veggie burgers are really really good! A little tip that we did that I think made my husband love them even more was to sprinkle grill seasoning on them. So good! :D

      Delete
  7. I also have this book, and have been very pleased with what I tried so far. I can't wait to try more and will have your words in mind. I hope you get bloggen again as it's a very nice blog you have.

    ReplyDelete