Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Sexy Vegan...Extraordinary food from an ordinary dude!

Awesome, awesome, awesome book!
Definitely on my list of "must buys" and highly recommended. And I am picky,

I am so glad that the publisher for this book sent me a review copy Because the recipes kick a meat eaters burgers tush. The book bring lots of humor mixed with tons and tons of flavor.  I was laughing pretty hard at some of the titles of his recipes...hilarious!

What I can say for sure is that if you just bought this book for the tempeh bacon recipe alone, it would be worth it. After you make this recipe once, you will never want to buy store tempeh bacon again. Its so so good! And so much cheaper to make it yourself! You get 5 times as much bacon for the price of one store bought package, and it freezes awesome for quick meals later on. The marinade is super healthy, and just stuff you will have on hand! I am kind of obsessed with it actually. Behold, the amazing-ness...



You make the marinade, place it in a large glass Pyrex type dish to sit (I just let mine sit in the fridge overnight). It takes just minutes to throw this together...

And then the next day it is ready to go. You can cook them in a skillet, or bake in the oven. We turned outs in to a simple but favorite BLT style sandwich. Delicious!


 I also tested his recipe called "The Portly Fellow". Again, amazing! I loved it so much I got permission to give you all the recipe for this one! I loved his method for cooking the portabellos! You thinly slice them across the cap of the mushroom after they cook and you get these long, thin, "deli meat" type slices that you can pile on your sandwich, and it makes it so much easier to eat that way.



He has some great YouTube videos and you can watch him slice the mushrooms in action HERE!
It also has caramelized red onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and a very yummy sun dried tomato and white bean spread! I had this for two days in a row...so good! There are a ton of other recipes I'm dying to try now from the book! If you want comfort food like burgers, buffalo style wings, hearty breakfast sandwiches, meatballs, etc. done not only vegan, but healthy, this is your book!

To purchase your own copy, CLICK HERE

Oh, and get the recipe for this amazing sandwich below!  Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!




THE PORTLY FELLOW
If this sandwich were a person, he would be a round, top hat–wearing gentleman in an old-timey suit with a pocket watch, monocle, and cane. And despite his size, he would eat sandwiches in a dainty fashion. That makes me smile.
Makes 2 sandwiches

2 portobello mushrooms, stemmed and wiped clean
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
2 cup sliced red onion
2 ciabatta rolls, halved and toasted
2 cup Sun-Dried Tomato and White Bean Spread (see recipe
below)
1 roasted red bell pepper, halved 
1 small handful baby arugula
1 medium tomato, sliced

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat the mushrooms with 2 teaspoons of the oil, the vinegar, and a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Place the mushrooms in the smallest roasting vessel that will hold them. The smaller the vessel, the more of the delicious mushroom juice that will collect during cooking, so make sure the vessel has sides. You can make one out of foil if need be. On a baking sheet, toss the onion slices with the remaining 2 teaspoon of oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper, and spread them out. Roast both the shrooms and the onion for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft. Remove the mushrooms and onion from the oven, and let cool, making sure to reserve any mushroom juices that have accumulated. Cut the shrooms thinly on the diagonal, so that you create wide, flat slices.
Now you’re ready to assemble! Remember those shroom juices you were trying to preserve? Drizzle them on the bottom half of each of the ciabatta rolls (if there’s not enough, don’t get your butt-
hole all a-pucker — just drizzle some additional oil and vinegar on the ciabatta to compensate), and smear the top halves with the bean spread.
Assemble each of the sandwiches from the bottom up in the following order: bottom ciabatta half, sliced shrooms, roasted pepper, roasted onion, arugula, tomato, and bean-smeared ciabatta half.

Sun-Dried Tomato and
White Bean Spread
This is also a great dip for chips or veggies. Store extra in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
Makes about 2 cups
 2 cups drained freshly cooked cannellini beans or one
15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 medium basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic
Salt and pepper
 In a food processor or blender, puree the beans, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, oil, water, and garlic until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Excerpted with permission from The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude ©2012 by Brian Patton.  Published with permission of New World Library http://www.newworldlibrary.com





14 comments:

  1. You keep getting all these amazing cookbooks and I really want to come over your place for dinner!!!!!!!

    I love the sun dried tomato spread! I make white bean spread but never thought to add that...and it;s one of my favorite flavors!!

    "If this sandwich were a person, he would be a round, top hat–wearing gentleman in an old-timey suit with a pocket watch, monocle, and cane. And despite his size, he would eat sandwiches in a dainty fashion. That makes me smile." --Ha! so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know, I thought it was funny. That is what it says in the book.I just posted it with the recipe because they sent me a file WITH the recipe and that was included on it. LOL

      Delete
  2. This looks like an amazing book-I definitely want to get it. Wow, awesome job on the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like an amazing and fun cookbook! I'm one of those people that buy tempeh bacon, I should totally try making it home. The Portly Fellow sandwich looks awesome too! Another cookbook added to my wishlist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so the same! You would think with how much I cook and love cooking that I would have considered making my own tempeh bacon but It was one of my convenience buys for sure. I couldn't believe how simple this recipe was to do it from scratch, and its delicious! And way cheaper! You have to try!

      Delete
  5. I've been looking for a new, fun cookbook to try out. I'm going to check this one out. Thanks for the review, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jesse! Take my word for it, this one is totally fun food and delicious too. I loved the things I made from it! :D

      Delete
  6. I need another cookbook like I need a hole in my head but... I am a sucker for this, looks awesome! I love the idea for those mushrooms- totally stealing that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so with you on the cookbooks! If your like me, I just like to have them, and my collection is HUGE. lol The mushroom idea was brilliant! Seriously, I was thinking they would work awesome in wraps, or on salads, etc. like that. It just makes them way easy to eat in a sandwich!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of slicing the portobellos that way! Who woulda thunk? Haha! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just ordered the cookbook! Can't wait to try the recipes. Great idea on slicing portobellos! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed browsing through your entry. I could only agree with you.

    commercial space for rent Philippines

    ReplyDelete